Posted by Harmony Central News on Apr 21, 2003 1:00:00 AM
sage ELECTRONICS has introduced the SE – Pre 1, an elegantly simple discrete ‘class A’ mic preamp.
Designed by record producer / studio designer Phillip Victor Bova and hand-constructed on a one-off basis for home, project and commercial studios as well as touring producers, engineers and live sound pros, the SE – Pre 1 is for anyone who has ever wanted to own a classic 1960’s or 70’s mic preamp but has been reluctant to incur the premium purchase price and costly maintenance these aging classics demand.
The SE – Pre 1 is available as a stand-alone single channel module or with up to 8-channels in a 19″ 3 RU rackmount. It features:
- discrete class A circuitry
- hand-selected and wired precision-matched components
- un-clippable input (even by extreme mic signals) – requires no input pad
- + 26 dBu output capable of driving a 600 ohm load or greater (this covers everything from vintage gear to the latest digital audio workstations)
- + 48 volt switch-able phantom power w/ jewel light indicator
- clarostat gain pot
- gold plated balanced XLR I / O connectors
- very low self noise
- superior electromagnetic / electrostatic and rf noise shielding via shock-mounted all-steel internal + an aluminum external chassis
- separate DC connector cable from each SE – Pre module to power supply
- exotic wood (purple heart or oak) front panel with vintage-style knob and switch
Every module is fully tested, ‘burned-in’ and signed by the ‘builder’ prior to shipment.
The SE – Pre 1 comes with a manual and a 3 year warranty. The product carries a manufacturer’s suggested list price of CDN $679. (US $469.) and is available directly from the manufacturer. The SE – PS external universal-voltage power supply (capable of powering up to 16 sage modules) sells separately for CDN $479. (US $319.).